Pages

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Broken Leg Garden


Broken Leg Gardening

By Cathy Koos Breazeal 

Late April gave me a clear-weather weekend opportunity to prep my veg garden, so I pulled weeds, prepped and rebuilt some of the raised beds, and planted a large patch of flax.  The flax seed, a gift from a dear friend, was a special variety from Ireland called Marylein.  The small bit I planted last year yielded some lovely, silver-sheened linen fibers, so I anticipated a bigger harvest this year. 

Next morning I was off to a sustainable forest conference in Denver, landing amidst snow flurries.  My husband informed me that it snowed at home, too, but I wasn’t worried about the flax seed – it likes cold feet.  

The end of the week saw me back at the Denver airport, hurrying to return my rental car and dodge more snow flurries.  Then it happened.  I missed the edge of the sidewalk and unceremoniously hit the ground.  On my way to the pavement, I heard the distinctive snap of a breaking fibula.  As I sat in a disheveled heap on the pavement, all I could think about was my garden and how the heck I was going to get home.  In that order... 

Southwest Airlines took good care of me and I made it home in the wee hours next morning, then to the ER, then the orthopedist and over the next month progressed from ER splint to cast to a boot.  All the while watching prime, May gardening weather slip by.  I also watched my tomato seedlings get leggier and leggier.  None of my gardening spots are very accessible on a good day, let alone with a wheelchair or cast and crutches.
 
My husband assessed the situation and came home one day with an armful of 15-gallon patio pots and Kellogg's Patio Plus Mix .  Wheelchair in position and our bedroom deck became my garden for the duration.  Tomatoes, cucumbers and a couple cotton plants are in tubs, with radishes, beets and onions planted along the perimeter of the big pots.  Yesterday, I was able to get into the garden proper and planted 4 rows of green beans and beets – hopefully we will have a long autumn. 

Bottom line, where there is a will, there is a way to tend your garden.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment